The start of the meeting was a quick recap of what was covered at prior Rock Spring planning meetings, possible future development in the area, and a review of the recomendations of the Urban Land Institute Technical Assistance Panel (ULI TAP) which looked at the high office vacancy rate in the Rock Spring and White Flint 2/Executive Boulevard areas. After that there was a presentation on planning ideas for Rock Spring, Breakout sessions where people at the meeting could talk with planners, and finally, report outs from each of the breakout sessions.
Possible Future plans
- Montgomery Mall: Possible expansion of anchor tenant and expansion of a parking garage.
- Wildwood Medical site: Recieved special exception in 2012 for a 5 story residential building and has applied to amend that approval to increase the height of the building.
- Wildwood shopping Center: Proposing an addition at the end of the shopping center building.
ULI TAP presentationThe planning department requested the Urban Land Institutes (ULI) assistance to look at the office vacancy in Rock Spring and White Flint 2/Executive Boulevard. They only focused within the boundaries of Rock Spring, they weren't looking holistically at the area and were looking for ways to decrease the office vacancy rate by changes to the areas
- Land Use
The full presentation that resulted from the ULI TAP workshop is available on the planning website. The parts related to Rock Spring are on pages 54-69 of the powerpoint (which is actually a PDF)
Rock Spring Plan
Mike Bello (the planning departments lead urban designer) then gave a presentation on the status of the rock spring plan and ideas they are considering.
Major community issues
- Lack of Access to White Flint or Grosvenor Metro stations
- Safety concerns crossign Old Georgetown Rd
- Too much congestion at intersections
- More schools
- Larger library
- Safety issues crossing Democracy and Fernwood
- More open space and recreation
- Better trails and walking paths
- Improve access to the mall
- Lack of walkability
Post a Comment